Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Need a Flood of Traffic? Write a List - A Crazy Story of Success

When you start a blog and that's the way you would like to earn your work at home income there is just ONE hurdle you need to leap.  The traffic hurdle.  Now traffic from search engines is the most valuable traffic there is, but it takes awhile to get a steady stream.

If you're a true writer, writing a list might seem like a cop out or an easy dumbed-down version of writing. For the most part it kind of is, but sprinkling in a few can be very valuable.  

Lists are one of the most popular things on the internet, a ton more people will be inclined to read a list than a news piece or a normal article.  Lists are also more likely to go viral and bring in an amount of traffic you could never even dream of.  

Here's a short explanation of how one of my lists went viral awhile ago and brought in the most amount of traffic I ever witnessed.

-Submitted list to Fark.com

-Fark accepted the list, changed the headline slightly, and put it on their front page.

-Traffic is really spiking at this point, about 8k visits per hour.

-Nearly every blog in my niche picked up the article and linked to it.

-Stumbleupon users start stumbling the Fark link, which redirects to my link. 

-Sites that are essentially "link farms" in my niche pick it up.

-The yahoo blog in my niche picks it up.

Yahoo really sent it into the stratosphere and there I was glued to my adsense earnings and traffic stats. Final tally?  Over the next 3 days I generated over a million page views and made about $900 in adsense.  This all came about from writing a list in about an hour and a half.  

It was like a drinking binge, I was hungover, it was a rush.  It was like watching a slot machine winning for 3 days.  The exposure was invaluable as I received emails from more advertisers in the coming days and earned a little respect within my niche.  

Think of a list, write it, promote it to free sites like Fark, Digg, Reddit.  It happens all the time, it can be you the next time, just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment